Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Iron Man 3 Review: No Spoilers!!

Iron Man 3, the first movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to be born in a post-Avengers world.  Did it live up to the hype?  Is it worth your hard earned money? Yes and Yes.  Now, this is a spoiler free review so let me explain how this (and all future movie reviews) is going to go down. 1) I will give a brief plot description. 2) I will use my custom made rating system to give the film a score and explain what I liked and disliked about it. 3) Any other thoughts I have.

Allow me to briefly explain my rating system.  The system I will be using for Iron Man 3 will be my standard comic book movie rating system.  It has seven categories, although the categories have varying degrees of importance.

Sound simple enough? Lets get to it!
Synopsis
The film takes place around 6 months after the events of The Avengers.  Tony Stark is experience PTSD type symptoms as he adjusts to a world were he is no longer the biggest, baddest thing in existence.  Terrorist attacks by a villain known as the Mandarin force Tony out of a semi-self imposed exile in order to combat demons from his past and protect those he cares for the most.  

1. (17%) Music: 

 While the score has some good songs such as Stark, New Beginnings, The Mechanic, and Can You Dig It; it does not offer a lot of variety.  Many of the songs are good because Brian Tyler, the composer, came up with a great Iron Man theme that he stuck in almost every single song.  Since the good songs sound so similar I can't praise the music as much as other films (namely Inception and The Dark Knight Rises).  I gave the score a 7/10.

2. (20%) Acting: 

The acting was very good, although some of the characters weren't really given the chance to show off their range.  Obviously Downey Jr. was the star of the film and he doesn't disappoint;  although, I did think there were a couple of scenes that seemed off to me. Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley were great; Pearce really took the film to a different level with a couple of his scenes.  Don Cheadle, Gwyenth Paltrow, and James Badge Dale all turned in solid performances as well.  The acting gets a 8/10.  

3. (18%) Plot: 

Aside from my earlier plot synopsis I really don't want to say much more about the plot.  I liked it and I thought Tony Stark's character arc was appropriate considering what had happened to the character in previous films.  The villain's scheme was pretty interesting and served as a nice obstacle for our protagonist.  The plot didn't knock my socks off and there weren't any major twists so I can only give the plot a score of 8/10.


4. (21%) Execution:

For some reason, it took me a while to get engaged in the film.  For some reason, the narration of the opening scenes really didn't work for me and I thought the pacing was off a little bit.  After the first major sequence (you'll know it when you see it) I was fully engaged and all systems were go.  I'd give the execution an 8/10.

5. (8 %) First Reaction:

I came out of the Theater very impressed and satisfied.  Well worth $11.50 to see it in theaters.  9/10.

6. ( 8%) Comic book-ness -

This category is for all the scenes that remind you of what you would see (or want to see) in a comic book.  This film had them in spades.  10/10.  

7. (8%) Faithfulness to source material-  

I am not a huge Iron Man fan (from the comics) although I do own the first 10-15 issues in one big collection.  With that said, I am familiar with a particular character who appears in this film and the comic version of this character is significantly different than the movie version.  For what its worth, the film version works, but I was a little disappointed by the change.  Therefore, I'm going to have to take 2 points off for a score of 8/10.  

The Verdict

Using my custom rating scale gives Iron Man 3 a score of 80.7 out of 100.  Personally I think this score is a little low so I will average it out with my gut score of 85.  This gives us a final rating of 83.  I really liked Iron Man 3 and it's definitely worth seeing in the theater at least once.

Well that's all folks, look for my Man of Steel preview tomorrow evening or Thursday.  I hope success has been following y'all around like a stray dog. (If you don't get why I put this you need to read my How To Catch Vermin series, check the archives).   

No comments:

Post a Comment