Monday, May 13, 2013

Hello Officer...

DISCLAIMER 
*** Certain details of this historical event have been fictionalized for your reading pleasure ***


It was a calm spring day.  Birds fluttered around the trees as the sun began its descent.  I drove down route 250 on the way to a get together with my parents new life group from church.  As I was driving, my mom received a phone call from my dad, alerting us to a cop on the side of the road.  Being the focused driver I am, I didn't notice when we passed him.  However, just after we passed him, I noticed several black ravens circling over a dead carcass.  A shiver went down my spine as I contemplated this omen.

Shortly after this, I noticed said cop car behind us.  For some strange reason my spider senses immediately began to explode.  At first he he simply followed behind us, but once his lights went on I knew we were in the middle of a S.H.T.F. moment (hint: S is Hitting The F).  My mother was just as confused as I was; I had followed the rules of the road perfectly and their was nothing wrong with the car.  After I had pulled over, the cop proceeded to exit his vehicle and saunter up to the car.  He then informed us that the van still had 2012 tags... in 2013.  Despite my mother's vehement protests that this simply wasn't possible (it was) the cop took our license and registration and went back to his car.  After spending a few minutes stewing in the car, I noticed the cop returning, and my spider senses told me he had dire news.  The tags were in fact out of date and the ticket would go to.... me, the driver of the vehicle.  I had already suspected this eventuality so my inner shock was disguised by my calm veneer. The cop was a pretty nice dude so I harbor no ill will towards him.  He was only doing his job after all.

While my dreams of having a perfect driving record are gone, the ticket won't add any points to my driving record so its really not a big deal.  Also, my parents will be paying the fine since getting new tags didn't exactly fall under my realm of responsibility.  This incident has taught me one thing I'll never forget (in addition to always check the tags on the car):  When the S hits the fan and your wearing clothes you don't care about it always pays when someone else is willing  to  pay for the dry cleaning.

Next time on "This mortal body has grown weak, I need sustenance":
Iron Man 3 Review -  Look for it Tomorrow!
Man of Steel Preview-  Look for it Wednesday!
Graduation: The Real Story- Look for it Thursday/Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment