Friday, August 16, 2013

Christopher's Ten for 10: Top Ten Favorite Movies

This is it.  The one you have all been waiting for.  The extremely cliche, but also necessary, top ten movies post. I could go on and on about what I like and what I dislike about each of these films; instead, I'll simply include a trailer, and put one thing that I like about the movie, whether it's a scene, a theme, a character, etc.

10. The Ultimate Gift*
The thing that I most enjoy about this film is the authenticity of the relationships between the characters.  I think the character arcs are really well developed and the acting is top notch which leads to some really great emotional moments.

9. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark *
This is an example of one of those movies that I could watch anytime it showed up on TV, regardless of what part of the movie its at.  Also, I think Raiders is a great example of a movie that uses humor as a tool  to make a better film, as opposed to a movie that gets sucked into making the humor the point of the film.  Harrison Ford's pretty good, too.

8. Spider-man
Another example of a movie that if I see it on TV, I will almost always watch it or record it on our DVR (despite the fact that we own the DVD).  The action was extremely good for its time and Tobey Maguire does a great job displaying the weight and responsibility Peter Parker faces due to his powers.


7. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring*
My favorite of the trilogy, the music is great and the action is intense and gritty.  Favorite quote: Frodo-  "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened." Gandolf- "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

6. A Few Good Men*
 Tom Cruise, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, Jack Nicholson, Kiefer Sutherland, and one of the most memorable quotes of all time.  Need I say more?
                                          
5. Man of Steel*
The special effects are breathtaking, the action is unparalleled, but the heart of the film lies with the relationship between Clark (aka Superman) and his parents; both biological and adopted. In addition, Hans Zimmer delivers a score that perfectly compliments the film, creating incredible themes for protagonist and antagonist alike.


4. Star Wars*
As I watched the film yesterday, I began to realize how much I liked this movie.  I then got to the scene in the trash compacter and realized that I was watching Tony, Ziva, and McGee from NCIS. That's when I knew it was top ten.  Plus it has my favorite Darth Vader quote, " I find your lack of faith disturbing".  The epitome of a classic.

3.  The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe*
They took a beloved childhood book and didn't screw it up.  That may not seem like much but considering the quality of the next two, apparently adapting a book accurately is harder than I thought.  Also, Liam Neeson was born to voice Aslan, no joke.

2. The Dark Knight Trilogy*
I couldn't live any of these movies out, so I am looking at the trilogy as one giant, epic movie.  I love each movie for different reasons: Batman Begins because its a great origin story and the best interpretation of Batman as a character, The Dark Knight because it has the greatest conflict/villain for Batman to face, and The Dark Knight Rises because it has the best emotional moments of the trilogy.

1. Inception*
The only movie I've ever seen that I can find no flaw with.  Simply put, it's a cinematic masterpiece and the standard according to which I compare all other films.

Well, there it is, my top ten favorite movies.  What movies do you hold in high regard?  Put a couple of your favorites in the comments, and let me know what you think about my list.  Look for posts 49 and 50 to come on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have spellcheck?

    Anywhos, solid list, I must say. A few of those are in my top 10. Or one of my Top 10's. I'd include Warrior and Remember the Titans somewhere in mine. And Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete