Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Day In the Life: Episode 1: First Week of Work

Hello bloggerites, me hopes that you all are having a good week.  This was my first official week at my new job as a Student Ambassador at PVCC (Piedmont Virginia Community College).  On Tuesday, I worked in the Admissions and Advising Center and today I worked at SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration), Piedmont's orientation sessions for incoming students.  I work from 8 am to 1 pm.  Now on Tuesday, I was planning to wake up at 7 am so Mom and I could leave at 7:40.  Of course that plan was shot to pieces when I woke up to my Mom walking past my bedroom door at 7:43.  Thanks to some Jason Bourne driving from Mom, I got to work at 8:01.  My duties for the day consisted of preparing for Thursday's SOAR session and some other minor duties.  Overall, I thought that it was a fun and productive day.  Everyone in the center was incredibly welcoming and it was interesting to see what types of questions were asked during my time there.

Wednesday night, I set my alarm clock and my phone alarm just to make sure I would turn off my clock alarm in my sleep again.  Unfortunately, my body also set its alarm at 3,4,5, and 6.  Needless to say, a restful night it was not.  I got up on time and made it to PVCC at 7:55.  After setting up a couple of signs, I sat down in the cafeteria in the main building to guide all of the new students plus their families in the correct direction.  I helped 0 students from 8:20 to 8:55.  It turns out there was a sign on the other side of the main building (where people were parking) and most everyone found the classroom without trouble :(.  After participating in the student/faculty panel I got to watch one of the funniest game show parody's in a long time.  I then helped in the group sessions showing the new students how to sign up for classes and answering any questions they had concerning their classes.  At the end of the day, I thought it was a pretty cool and unique experience and I can't wait to see that game show 11 more times.

TTYL,

                C

No comments:

Post a Comment